Real Madrid will be without the services of star man Cristiano Ronaldo for the next three weeks after the club confirmed he picked up a thigh injury in the 5-0 win over Almeria on Saturday.
The 28-year-old, who scored his 25th goal for Los Blancos this campaign during the match, was replaced nine minutes into the second half. Speaking afterwards, he played down reports it was a serious injury, claiming it was just a knock. Manager Carlo Ancelotti also said Ronaldo would not be missing for long.
But tests carried out on Monday morning showed the Portugual international picked up a thigh problem and will be out for three weeks. The club also took the decision to give player a break to recover from other injuries and niggles he has been carrying.
A statement from the club said: After X-ray tests carried out today on our player Cristiano Ronaldo by Real Madrid’s medical services, an injury in his left thigh was detected. His return to action depends on the evolution of the injury.”
Ronaldo has also been carrying a toe injury that has limited his ability to train with both club and country over the past two weeks and has played a lot of football recently without a break.
The former Manchester United star will miss his side’s Copa del Rey clash with Olimpic de Xativa on December 7th through suspension having been sent off in last year’s final. He could be back in time for Los Blancos’ fixture at Osasuna a week later.